After becoming leader of the race, Stoner was not overtaken by Lorenzo until passing the finish line. Stoner completed the 32 lap race with 43 minutes 52,145 seconds, 5.6 seconds ahead of Lorenzo, followed by Pedrosa, Ben Spies and Andrea Dovizioso completed the top five. Six and seven positions filled by Ducati riders, Valentino Rossi and Nicky Hayden, who performed quite well.
Misfortune experienced by the controversial Honda Gresini rider Marco Simoncelli. Frizzy-haired rider must re-drop when his position was in the top five.
This win was Stoner's fifth this season, but this result could make him happy after failing to become the best in the last three races.
Here is the complete MotoGP Laguna Seca circuit:
1. Casey Stoner AUS Honda Repsol 43m 52.145s
2. Jorge Lorenzo Yamaha ESP Factory Racing 43m 57.779s
3. Dani Pedrosa Repsol Honda ESP 44m 1.612s
4. Ben Spies USA Yamaha Factory Racing 44m 12.707s
5. Andrea Dovizioso ITA Repsol Honda 44m 13.030s
6. Valentino Rossi ITA Ducati Marlboro 44m 22.496s
7. Nicky Hayden USA Ducati Marlboro 44m 23.176s
8. Colin Edwards USA Tech 3 Yamaha Monster 44m 37.647s
9. Hector Barbera ESP Mapfre Aspar 44m 43.694s
10. Hiroshi Aoyama JPN San Carlo Honda Gresini 45m 0.995s
11. Karel Abraham CZE Cardion AB Motoracing 45m 1.277s
12. Loris Capirossi ITA Pramac Racing 45m 5.129s
13. Toni Elias Honda ESP LCR 44m 29.962s
Alvaro Bautista ESP Rizla Suzuki
LCR Honda's Ben Bostrom USA
Marco Simoncelli ITA San Carlo Honda Gresini
Cal Crutchlow GBR Tech 3 Yamaha Monster